Saturday, October 29, 2011

Starting Over

The babies were fast asleep. Brent had an hour left on his shift. It was pitch black outside and I was fed up! I could not continue down the path I was on. So, I took a deep breath, pulled my hair back, and marched towards the kitchen. The kitchen is such a special place for me. Anyone who knows me, knows that! I stepped onto the cold tile, flipped on the light, and hesitated. I panicked. Is this really what I want? "Yes. No. Maybe its too soon.", I thought. But, something inside me kept nagging to jump in and do it. I cautiously walked into the kitchen and opened the pantry door. I gazed at the all the delicious possibilities  piled on top of each other. It was like a masterful piece of art that I had lovingly created. Chips, cookies, cereal, pop tarts, minute rice, oh the beauty! But the bible says beauty is fleeting. And, boy, is it right! I began to tear everything off the shelves. My hands were shaky and there were beads of sweat forming above my brow. But I courageously pressed on, throwing everything in a pile on the counter.  I knew exactly what was staying and what was going to the compound. I had done the research and I had walked the walk once before.

After purging all the wonderful and tempting garbage from the kitchen, I sat back on the couch. This was a new day. Or night. But either way I was starting over. My family was no longer going to have the choice of unhealthy food. We have addicts in this house, and the only way to break them (us) is cut them off. This was my mistake, my laziness, and I was determined to change it!

Today I went grocery shopping for the first time since that fateful night. I made two trips, one to Kroger and one to Costco. I tried to stick with mostly organic. Except for orange juice. OK, $6.89 for half a gallon of "uncle jim bob's" organic orange juice is just robbery. I refused.  I managed to stock our kitchen with fresh foods to last all week. It was a little more expensive, but I'm committed to stay away from restaurants right now. Our family has to make this change, and it starts with me. I know that we will be a happier, healthier family. This is a good starting over.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love the new look and pictures! Have you guys tried quinoa? Costco sells it in bulk and it has more protien than eggs per serving. We eat a ton of it, very healthy grain.

    ReplyDelete